Tuesday, 13 March 2007

To Siberia and Beyond

Princess purple, magnificent mauve and edgy orange. These are the colours of the toenails of three of my companions for the 4 day "tramp" from Makarora. What a hoot!

After leaving Makarora in brilliant sunshine we crossed the Makarora River, which being thigh deep involved wetting more than ones toes.





We then headed up the Young valley to the Young Hut, where we spent our first night. Shortly after arriving the Siberia hut warden, Mark, arrived. Remarkably, his home is Sheringham, only about 20k from our home in Norfolk.



Day 2 saw the weather close in...



...and we crossed the Gillespie Pass in wispy cloud...



...before dropping into the Wilkin Valley where we camped overnight. We were lucky that the rain stayed away until after we had broken camp in the morning.

Our third day was spectacular for both the amount of rain that fell and Crucible Lake, to which we climbed. We took brief respite in a cave just big enough for the 5 of us before reaching the lake. For a moment it appeared that Lawrence would respond to Helen's baiting...



What a view when you climb over the rim of the lake! Icebergs floating and torrents coursing into the lake from the sheer sides of the mountain caused by the heavy rainfall.



After walking back down from Crucible Lake we again donned our packs and headed for Siberia Hut, where Mark and many dry walkers awaited us.

It rained overnight and throughout the morning of our final day. We had a lazy morning in the hut...



...before the walk down to where we were met by the jet boat that returned us back to Makarora in breathtaking fashion.



Before I arrived in NZ, Emma had suggested that rather than walking alone I should join one of the walks run by Wild Walks (http://www.wildwalks.co.nz/). That was how on Saturday morning I came to be having coffee with 3 40-something Sydneysiders from St Ives. In order of toenail colour, they are Helen, Jenny and Roz. This was my "sanitary inspection" to establish whether it would be safe to travel into the wilderness with me. Apparently my King Gee shorts ("any tougher and they would rust") were a bit of a problem, but they were prepared to take the chance!

For my part I was not sure how 3 city girls, unfamiliar with trekking in the wilderness would get on. The fact that their footwear was more akin to running shoes than walking boots did not inspire confidence. Well, there was no cause for concern. It soon became apparent that they were "fit" in more senses than one. The reason soon became apparent: they are used to endurance walking, having completed the 100k Sydney Oxfam Trailwalker event in 21 hours last year. Add to that Roz's usual regime of getting up at 5.30 am to run, after which she comes home to sort breakfast for the family before working full time, and you get the picture. In 2004 Roz completed 4 marathons!

The final member of our party was our guide Laurence, who was about 20 years younger that the average age of the rest of the party. We had relatively light packs as Laurence carried the food, fuel and the like. This was to be Laurence's last trip as he now works for an organisation that amongst other things monitors river flows along the west coast of the south island. Laurence, a man of few but well chosen words, was an admirable foil to the girls. He also did well to cook good and tasty food for us.

There were a few moments when silence reigned, but otherwise the entertainment was pretty constant. Although I have never met them, I feel like I know Julian, Mark and Nick (their husbands) well. Girls, on the basis that the payments keep coming, I shall say no more!

The entertainment continued into the night after we returned to Wanaka, with a memorable meal at Missey's being preceded and followed by champagne!

This morning it has been pouring. I arrived 11 days ago to near 30 degree heat. I have witnessed the change of the seasons. It is 5 degrees and there is snow on the mountains - an impressive sight.

I am likely to be here for only 2 or 3 more days. I plan to fly to Christchurch and hire a car at the airport, then heading for the Banks Peninsula for a couple of nights.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, i'm Mark - one of the "husbands" Thanks for looking after our girls! good to have them home to cook again.

Roz said...

Sounds like you are still having a wonderful time, I'm back in the real world and would prefer to be tramping! Edgy Orange

Anonymous said...

Been following your trip - sounds amazing - I've actually been doing too much cooking! Princess Purple